July 14, 2009

We passed upon the stairs, we spoke of was and when

So I'm in love... if falling in love with the perfect accessory is possible.
While helping sort out the thrift shop last week, I found the most darling vintage powder compact - it's square and gold, with an inlaid mother of pearl mosaic lid and a secret cache that used to store face powder. Although it's a little dinged up in places and the powder is long gone, I love to flip open the little lid and smell the sweet but dusty scent that remains (like dried roses) and imagine the places this little compact went.
I don't know why small things like this intrigue me so much - I've held a similar fascination with an evening bag that's still for sale at the store; black and embroidered, not much bigger than a wallet, but with the sweetest little silver lighter attached on a chain - but I love my little vintage pieces and their secret stories...

No comments:

Post a Comment