July 20, 2009

Didn't hear your wicked words every day

So, not a fashion post, but bear with me...

When I was younger, I never used to believe in the idea of karma. For those of you who need a refresher, karma "is the concept of "action" or "deed" in Indian religions understood as that which causes the entire cycle of cause and effect (i.e., the cycle called saṃsāra) originating in ancient India and treated in Hindu, Jain, Sikh and Buddhist philosophies" (Wikipedia). But today, I got news of one of the biggest karmic bitchslaps to happen to someone I know and I think its renewed my faith in causality.

As a lot of stories start, there's a guy. I won't call him a friend, because even though I know him pretty well, I don't like him... I have no idea why, but I don't, so let's just put him in the realm of things that Kat inexplicably doesn't like, alongside tomatoes and rollercoasters. Anyways, this guy is one of those people who's kinda like bubblegum. Fun, sugary and bubbly when you first meet him, but eventually he leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Maybe its his penchant for gossip and spreading rumors, maybe its because he can never do anything for himself, but for whatever reason, when you get to know him really well, you stop liking him so much.

Anywhoo, said guy decided to run for president of my residence last year. Now as some of you might have guessed, I didn't vote for him... not because I didn't like him (I know, I know insert massive eyeroll here) but rather because a friend of mine was also running and I wanted to support him. Still, due to his personable nature, said guy won. I wasn't pleased but I was determined not to be bitter about it. Still, I couldn't help feeling that this wasn't going to end well.

Now, I'm what they call a 'soph' at my school... a weird name for what basically amounts to a student volunteer who lives in residence with the first years and helps them make the change from high school to university (this might sound like a Don or an RA, but believe it or not, we have those too). One of my best friends was supposed to be on the soph team for this year with me, but unfortunately due to a less than well-thought-out incident this year, she didn't make it on. Her fault yes, but I still wasn't happy about it. A few months later, the team is at our bonding-weekend-camp out thingy and said guy (Mr. President) begins spreading some nasty rumors about my friend through a discussion on good and bad soph behviour. Apparently, according to another older friend, these rumors weren't exactly new either. He'd been telling people for months, that my friend was a dealer and a pothead who got busted selling to her frosh... something she would never ever do.

So, karma time... Mr. President didn't make our soph team. In fact, Mr. Pres isn't even returning to school. See, he had this little thing where he hated the faculty he was in, but instead of telling his parents this, he just chose to flunk out of his classes. Normally this would've meant he couldn't make the team last year, but our head soph basically begged for him to be allowed on and so he was. Sadly (okay not), the rules couldn't be bent for Mr. Pres this year and so things have gotten so bad that he's not even allowed to come back to school, let alone live in residence.
Just goes to show that sometimes, maybe karma does work.

(Now to put the soap box away and return to our regularly scheduled programming)

No comments:

Post a Comment