July 27, 2009

I turn to her and say: Don't switch the blade on the guy in shades

[We are now resuming our regularly scheduled programming. We offer our apologies, but Kat's brain was overloaded with an overdose of the religious sort and thus required a rewiring of the system]

So, I've been on a bit of a geek trip lately. I don't know why this seems significant to me, considering I'm a geek most of the time (not the D&D playing, LARP-ing, comic book fanatic type, more of the Invader Zim-loving, Time Warp dancing, zydrate addict type), but lately my obsessions have been making their prescence known in my wardrobe...

I rarely shop online, but lately I've been considering blowing some of my hard-earned paycheck on a few choice geek chic items...

- I don't know when my obsession with Fight Club started, but give me a movie with Edward Norton, Brad Pitt and Helena Bonham Carter as a total psycho ( not to mention Meat Loaf) and I'll likely say "More please"... That's why I'm in need of this shirt (http://www.bustedtees.com/imbreakingthefirstruleoffightclub) from Busted Tees, because everyone knows that the first rule of fight club is so important, it has to be said twice...

- Now I'm not a total Twilight hater, but I'm also of the generation that remembers when vampires burst into flame upon exposure to sunlight (younger readers take note: Vampires are highly flammable. Push them into direct sunlight and they will go up like a gasoline-soaked match. Also, they have nice little pointy things called fangs... and for the love of God, they do not sparkle!), so this shirt (http://www.jinx.com/women/shirts/geek/buffy_staked_edward_womens.html?cs=6&csd=1494) from J!NX tees demonstrates quite nicely how Twilight would've ended if it had been written by Joss Whedon, say around 1998 [Sidebar: I'm also considering making my own tee but substituting the Brothers Winchester for Buffy... an equally good solution to the sparkly vampire problem in Forks, Washington]

- For a child raised on Star Wars and classic Brothers Grimm (none of this namby-pamby Disneyfication for me), any movie that combines elements of the future with elements of the grotesque will usually appeal to me. Thus, Repo! the Genetic Opera is definitely my kind of movie (disregarding Paris Hilton of course) and since the Graverobber is my favorite character (throw goth make-up on a passibly attractive guy and suddenly... hello tall, dark and salty), I contemplating this shirt (http://www.cafepress.ca/repoopera.362858625) from the official Repo! site, to warn others of the dangers of Graverobbing... before its too late

- And finally, capping off Kat's list of geeky things she needs this year, we have Gir flats (we still don't know what the G stands for) and a Watchmen lunch box (Like the Incredibles, but waaay darker and written by Alan Moore, he of the god-like insanity... um, hells yes). Both are at Hot Topic, which means I might be having to maneuver around this pesky I-am-Canadian thing (they'll ship to Alaska, but not Canada... okaayy) or trolling my local comic book shops for something similar.

So now that you know about my geek loves (or at least have scratched the surface of them), what are yours? Does Batman send your little heart into a tailspin or perhaps you dream of finding the perfect Mr. Spock tee one day?

No comments:

Post a Comment