July 20, 2009

One of these kids is not like the other, one of these kids is dead!

(Ten points and a cookie to whoever can guess where the title comes from)

Starting a little experiment today. I'm making up my own fashion rules and my goal is to have worked them all into my life and fashion sense by the end of the summer.

So, presenting to you:

Kat's (impromptu) rules of Fashion:

1) Be original - This one is kinda cliche, but also kinda tough. However, since I am the owner of one of the most basic wardrobes ever to come into existence, I feel as if this applies wholly to me. It's tough, because there are only so many things you can do to be different, before you're prancing down the street in a Barbie tiara, tutu and wings (if you've ever done this, you are officially my new hero) - and this is not an extreme I could ever go to (being a member of a slightly outrageous faculty, but fairly conservative school). So I need to find ways to differentiate myself from the crowd, but in ways that feel right to me (case in point: My school's T-Fox run last year... everyone else was in some form of athletic wear, while my friend and I completed the 5 k walk in skinny jeans and Converses. JnC for life!)

2) Be daring- Again applying to what we now refer to as the world's most drab wardrobe (aka twmdw). Looking back on pictures of myself from grade 7 to grade 9, when I had hair ranging in colors from purple to black to blonde to crayola red and happily wore vintage suit bottoms with my dad's old sweatshirts and platform sparkly red Sketchers, I have to wonder what happened. When did I ditch my peasent skirts and funky boots for sneakers and hoodies? So this rule is about breaking fashion rules. If people say long cardigans, I will wear cropped ones. If fashion dictates neutrals for fall, I will continue to wear my turqoise pants, etc etc. I also want to play with styles and cuts... this stemming from my general hatred of my own skin and refusal to wear anything lower than the highest of scoop-neck shirts. So many pretty v-neck shirts, so much denial for Kat.

3) Don't dress schlubby or you'll feel schlubby - So I'm breaking one of my previous cardinal rules of fashion here. I normally cannot stand people who wear leggings as pants - not with tunic tops, not with sweaters and especially not with normal t-shirts. Yet I am inexplicably drawn to them. I don't know why, but I am (especially these: http://www.americanapparel.com/rsac306.html?c=Boa%20Silver in Lame Black). I've made the rule for myself though that should I buy a pair of leggings, I am not allowed to wear them outside of my house/residence without putting on a skirt or shorts or something overtop, because otherwise I know I will feel like a slob for the whole day. I just feel like if I get dressed in my lounging clothes (pajamas, sweatpants, leggings, etc) and try to do anything outside in them, I feel like I'm only half-dressed. No idea why, just do. And this always impacts whatever I'm doing to the point where I feel so lethargic that I just can't do anything anymore. So no more rolling out of bed and rushing out the door for me. Outfits must be planned out and fully put together - and involve at least one cute accessory.

This is all for today, cheries, but look for part deux tommorow (I think... this impromptu stuff doesn't come easily, you know?)

Ta ta for now,
Kat

1 comment: