June 23, 2009

Kill 'Em with the Sound, Hit 'Em with the Frequency

So, wearing my new aqua skinny pants that I got at F21 yesterday and feeling like a sticky monkey because it is hella hot and I made the mistake of walking an hour each way to go to Taco Bell, when I could've just taken the bus...
But because I'm sitting in the basement, cooling off and reading fashion blogs, I've been musing a lot of fashion and what trends and labels really mean (so deep, I know).

I like to think that I don't really have a particular fashion sense, but somehow certain items of my wardrobe have gotten me labeled everything from "emo" to "hippie" to "Audrey"*... I basically live in skinny jeans and Converses, which means my friends are convinced that I'm an emo kid, even though I don't listen to emo music at all. And realistically, if this was twenty years ago, I'd probably be called punk, because pinned jeans and Converses was the uniform of one of my favorite bands, the Ramones.

The same is true with my glasses. I wear square, black-framed glasses, the same kind Mikey Way from My Chemical Romance used to wear (yes, I did get them when I still liked MCR)... I know these are called 'emo glasses' but I have no idea where it came from. Obviously Rivers Cuomo of Weezer wears them, but the last really famous person who wore them was Jonathan Davis from Korn, a nu-metal band... and the guy who made them famous was Buddy Holy, a rock 'n' roll musician.

So how is it that one item of clothing can say so much about a person? Like how neon jeans might say that a person is a scenester, while a maxi dress suggests that they're a bohemian/hippie? We discussed this in my pop culture class last semester and came to the conclusion that we're almost programmed to "read" people based on what they wear... even a plain, black shirt is "readable". So what do you think, imaginary readers? Is it okay to make assumptions based on someones outfit or are you maybe reading them entirely wrong?

* Being Audrey is one of my sister's euphemisms and basically means to act or dress like her screen idol, Audrey Hepburn

No comments:

Post a Comment